1 a militant organization of Irish nationalists who used terrorism and guerilla warfare in an effort to drive British forces from Northern Ireland and achieve a united independent Ireland [syn: Irish Republican Army, Provisional Irish Republican Army, Provisional IRA, Provos]
2 a self-funded retirement plan that allows you to contribute a limited yearly sum toward your retirement; taxes on the interest earned in the account are deferred [syn: individual retirement account]
3 belligerence aroused by a real or supposed wrong (personified as one of the deadly sins) [syn: wrath, anger, ire]
EtymologyHebrew "watchful", a minor biblical character (2Samuel 20:26)
- Rhymes: -aɪrə
- A given name, mostly of American usage.
IRA as an abbreviation most commonly refers to:
Republican Army, which has existed in various forms since 1916
(see List of
IRAs for details).
- Since 1969, the Provisional Irish Republican Army has usually been referred to simply as the "IRA".
- Individual Retirement Account, a private retirement account within the United States Internal Revenue Service code.
IRA as an abbreviation may also refer to:
- Indian Rationalist Association, a member of the Federation of Indian Rationalist Associations
- Indian Reorganization Act of 1934 secured certain rights to Native Americans
- Indian Rights Association, an advocacy and lobbyist group for the rights of Native Americans
- Intercollegiate Rowing Association, the national championship for USA men's collegiate rowing
- Internal Revenue Allotment, the local government’s share of revenues from the national government of the Philippines
- International Racquetball Association, an organisation regulating the sport of Racquetball
- International Reading Association, a membership organisation of literacy professionals
- International Reference Alphabet No. 5 as defined by ITU-T T.50.
- Inventory Record Accuracy, a verification protocol for stores
- Inverness Royal Academy, a secondary school in Scotland
- I.R.A. (band), "Ideas de Revolución Adolescente", a Colombian punk band
"Ira" as a nameIra as a name may refer to:
- Ira (עִירָא, Standard Hebrew , Tiberian Hebrew ), a Hebrew language personal name
- "Ira", a diminutive form of the name Irina
- Ira Gershwin, lyricist and brother of composer George Gershwin
- Ira Flatow, American journalist
- Ira Glass, American radio personality
- Ira Goldstein, ASB Bank character.
- Ira Hayes, a U.S. Marine, immortalized in the iconic photograph of the flag raising on Iwo Jima
- Ira Levin, a U.S. novelist
- Ira Kaplan, a U.S. musician, singer and guitarist for Yo La Tengo
- Ira, nickname of Indira Vladić, Croatian singer
- Ira, nickname of Irawati Ridwan, Saiful Rahman's Wife Banyuwangi East Java Indonesia
- Dr. Ira Graves, PhD, a fictional character from the Star Trek universe who appeared in the episode The Schizoid Man of the Star Trek: The Next Generation TV series.
- Ayra, a fictional character from Nintendo's Fire Emblem series, more specifically the Super Famicom game called Fire Emblem: Seisen no Keifu. Known in Japan as "Ira".
- Ira!, a popular Brazilian Rock'n'Roll band.
- IRA, a Polish rock band, popular in the early 90s
- Ira Latin word for Wrath, one of the seven deadly sins.
Ira in Danish: IRA (flertydig)
Ira in German: Ira
Ira in Esperanto: IRA
Ira in French: IRA
Ira in Korean: IRA
Ira in Italian: IRA
Ira in Japanese: IRA
Ira in Polish: IRA
Ira in Kölsch: IRA (Watt ėßß datt?)
Ira in Volapük: Ira